Schisandra Spiked Sangria
My love for alliteration shows itself once again in this recipe. Schisandra is called the ‘5 flavor berry’ and is a super-herb in Chinese medicine. If you choose to make this sangria alcoholic, the schisandra will help clear the alcohol better and spare you a hangover! I just recently made this as a hot beverage for a winter holiday party, and it was a big hit.
- 1 quart grape juice
- 2 cups plum juice
- 1 quart water
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 bunch of organic dark grapes, cut in half
- 1 large pack organic cranberries
- 1 small pack organic blueberries
- 1/2 pack organic blackberries, cut in half
- handful of organic strawberries, sliced
- handful of organic dried schisandra berries
- optional spices: allspice, nutmeg, cloves to taste
- and finally, optional spike with: red wine and brandy
- Combine all ingredients (except alcohol) in large pot, and bring to a boil.
- Bring to a slow simmer for about half hour.
- To serve, combine hot liquid with alcohol of choice, or keep it virgin for a delicious warming treat!