Day 78/365 - On holistic skin health
Here are some things I already learned from the opening pages of Clear Skin From Within by Dr. Trevor Cates:
The Five Holistic Skin Discoveries:
- The skin reflects the internal state of the body
- The conventional treatment usually doesn’t fix the underlying problem
- The skin functions best at a certain pH and flora (“skin microbiome”)
- The diet correlates to skin health
- Topical products can affect internal health
It’s shocking how in plain sight the truth of the matter is: beauty starts inside. The skin, the largest organ of the body by surface area) is the single barrier between the outside world and the inside. When treating skin conditions, the internal state of affairs must be addressed.
Nutrition plays a major role in skin health. Not only is some food practically contraindicated for good health (sugar, alcohol), but certain key nutrients are absolutely necessary for skin health. B vitamins, zinc, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin D, and essential fatty acids (epecially omega-3) are all necessary vitamins and trace minerals for optimal collagen production and gut integrity (as well as pro- and prebiotics). In turn, these constitute a perfect complexion.