Day 34/365 - On basic diet principles
Continued from the previous post of my weight loss theories/rant, here are some basic tips that are the common factors of a healthy, balanced diet:
- Stay hydrated by drinking a lot of water, preferably with electrolytes (or make your own).
- Start the day (or even each meal) with a glass of room temperature/warm water with some lemon juice or apple cider vinegar (15-20 minutes before eating).
- Wholesome, nutrient-dense food should be emphasized, and a variety of colors and types of vegetables should be the staple of the diet.
- Stay away from any processed foods (i.e. anything that is packaged or has a nutrition label on it) or modified/hydrogenated ingredients.
- Try to shop from local farms with good practices of harvesting and raising livestock (if you eat meat/eggs/dairy) - no pesticides/hormones/antibiotics and grass-fed only.
- Eat smaller portions of meals, until about 80% full. Chew slowly and deliberately so that you can feel that satiation point. Eat about 3-5 small meals a day.
- Eat in a calm environment, avoiding multi-tasking.
- Each meal should focus on vegetables, with one main type of protein (animal OR nut OR legume) or healthy carb (starchy vegetable or quinoa/buckwheat or rice or another grain).
- Water and fruit can be consumed between meals. Melons should not be combined with anything.
- Avoid high-glycemic foods, even fruit (tropical fruit, grapes).
- Some people do well with intermittent fasting (12-18 hours fasting daily, or 1 full day a week).